शनिवार, अक्तूबर 30, 2010

Beware of candles

Firdaus Khan
Paraffin wax candles, used for light, fragrance and to create a romantic ambiance, can contribute to air pollution inside home. The candles, which are made from petroleum, are a source of known human carcinogens and indoor pollution, said Dr KK Aggarwal, President, Heart Care Foundation of India.

With Diwali approaching, one should be careful of candle pollution. Dr Aggarwal said that people visiting the Perfect Health Mela will also be educated about the harmful effects of candles. Candles made from beeswax or soy, although more expensive, apparently are safer because they do not release potentially harmful pollutants.

An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions does not harm but lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom around a tub, may cause problems. Ventilation can help reduce the level of pollutants in closed rooms. Pollutants from burning candles can also cause respiratory irritation and allergy.